Monday 12 April 2010

Kick Ass - Phil's Five Words for Films

Kick Ass Ordinary guy, Dave Lizewski ( Aaron Johnson ), decides that he is sick of being mugged and picked on and, after buying a wetsuit costume from the Internet, tries his hand as a 'super' hero. Violence begins and Dave quickly finds himself in too deep. Sometimes funny, sometimes brutal, there are some great moments, scenes and characters within the film and for the most part, I really enjoyed the trip. The real stars of the show however, are Hit Girl and Big Daddy ( Chloe Moretz and Nicholas Cage ), a daughter-father killing spree who take great pleasure in what they do. The comic book violence is quite graphic in places and, coupled with the tone and language of the film, I am surprised that it was only given a 15 certificate. Do we really want kids to see a 12 year old girl getting stamped on? Do I want to see that? Original and well made, there is plenty of good stuff here but I felt that it was lacking in some areas and dragged a little towards the end. So what would happen if you tried to be a superhero? Well you'd probably get a good kicking, see some stuff you didn't want to and, in the end, take it all a little too far - but it would be fantastic fun. Exactly how I felt after watching Kick Ass.

7.5 out of 10
Cert 15 (uk). 2010

1 comment:

  1. " there are some great moments"

    I agree but on a whole I was disappointed in the film. Too much hype I guess.

    My Kick-Ass review:
    http://film-book.com/film-review-kick-ass/

    BTW, welcome to LAMB and check out ProMovieBlogger.com for tips on movie blogging.

    ReplyDelete